Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Separation Anxiety?

I would describe myself and my husband as pretty balanced people. Our children are, for the most part, pretty balanced as well. However, the last couple of weeks at our house have definitely NOT been balanced. Not sure exactly what is going on. We moved into our townhome about six weeks ago. My girls are almost six and just turned three. My almost-six-year-old was pretty excited about having her own room at the "new house" as they call it. Everything was just fine for a few weeks and then...

The almost-six-year-old will not sleep in her room by herself. At first, we thought it must be just utter rebellion and her refusing to obey what we had told her to do. But that doesn't seem to be it. We have done almost everything we can think of. She seems to have some sort of separation anxiety. She just wants us! So I have been sleeping on the floor of her room on futons for over a week so that she will stay in bed and sleep. I have spent good money on glow-in-the-dark stars, tried leaving the light on, got a bright night light, punished, bribed, rewarded. Sounds exhausting, doesn't it? It is. So we are praying for the LORD to give us a clear answer as to where we go from here. Because I am certainly not going to be sleeping in her room until she's 25!

This too shall pass, right? I have found it very tiring to deal with, but isn't it great to know that we aren't doing this alone? God's Word has been so much more precious to me lately. Verses have been flooding back to me that I had once memorized or just even heard. I'm glad that my strength is not my own...it's the LORD's! And HIS mercies are new every morning (Lamentations 3). Trust me, I am desperately in need of that strength and those mercies...especially when it comes to a certain six-year-old. :) And the times of prayer that my husband and I have been having together lately have just been so encouraging! The best tears ever spent, in my opinion, are spent in earnest prayer over our children. I thank and praise God for them! Let's earnestly pray for them every day. Check out Colossians chapter 1 (if I remember right, it's right about in the middle of it) for a great "check list" of sorts to pray for others for (including our children). Paul did.

1 comment:

  1. Wow...I will definitely pray for you guys. We are going to be having some big changes in our life soon and I hope that our little one adjusts well.

    ReplyDelete